Dullahan


For today’s Vampire Wednesday were looking at yet another Irish Vampire. I never knew there were so many. I’m beyond excited!

Dullahan
The Dullahan is pronounced DAH-hool. He has a lot of variations to his name including Dullaghan, Far Dorocha, Gan Ceann, Headless Horseman

The Headless Horseman is well known from Washington Irving’s American retelling of the German folklore short story “The Ledend of Sleepy Hollow.”

After the potato famine started in 1845 people started saying the Banshee was accompanied by a headless man riding on a horse. They were seen particularly at midnight on Feast Days.
Irish Dullahan headless (2)

The Head was which was the color and texture of molded cheese, smiled from ear to ear. Sometimes the man would hold his head other times it was tied to the saddle. Some said that the horse was also headless.

There were also stories that the man drove a coach made of human thigh bones which was pulled by six black horse with skull heads, their eyes lit by candles in their sockets.

Really it doesn’t matter if he’s on horseback or if he’s driving a coach, he races down roads spreading disease, entire households suddenly fall ill.

images (1)

Dullahan uses a bullwhip to lash out anyone’s eyes who happens to see him. He’s cursed with poor eyesight. Lucky victims get a bucket of blood tossed on them.

The Dullahan is incredibly greedy and will accept any momentary offering that’s thrown at him.

 

Photo Credit:
http://celticqueens.blogspot.com/2011/06/irish-dullahan.html
http://strangestate.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-irish-monsters.html

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “Dullahan

  1. rebecca2000 says:

    Is he kin to Carrie?

  2. averythorne says:

    Damn… so many vampires…
    Going to take a long time to read them all…

    • mari wells says:

      I love my vampires. I have so many to still tell you all about. I post every Wednesday. It won’t take that long 😀
      Thank you so much for coming by and commenting.

      • averythorne says:

        You’re quite welcome. I love vampire too. Well, the old ones more than the new ones, now that they’re all ‘soft’ and ’emotional’.

      • mari wells says:

        About 95% of the vampires here are the old ones. The other 5% are the vampires I’ve created. So you’ll like at least a large amount of my stuff. 😀

      • averythorne says:

        Noooo judging by your amazing amount of vampire knowledge I have no doubt that your vampires are good too. I like most modern vampires, just not the twilight ones. And so far I’m liking 100% of your stuff. This blog is like a vampire wikipedia.

      • mari wells says:

        Thank you for the amazing compliment!

  3. He sounds like a lovely character, especially the thigh bones, and skulls and spreading disease around. It’s cool to learn about this stuff.

  4. Not very nice, is he! Getting doused in a bucket of blood is not a cool way to spend an evening! 😉 Brightest Blessings

  5. […] wish to remind you of those Irish who desire your blood. The Earl of Desmond Dullahan Carricaphouka Castle Abhartach Annis […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s